2000 VOLKSWAGEN CABRIO 2000 VW CABRIO CAR STALLS IN RAIN -

• Mcguckin
  • 2000 VOLKSWAGEN CABRIOLET

2000 Volkswagen Cabrio 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 79000 miles

Car has a problem I notice only after it rains the night before. Car starts right up - no problem but it does seem to run a little rough (tach moving between 9-10). I start down the road fine and then the car stalls, I pull over and it start right back up. I can even give it gas in park and it feels smooth - no hesitation. I then put it back in drive and go a couple hundered feet and it stalls again. This might happen 3 or 4 times (it's dangerous). But if I let the car sit after restarting and let it warm up say 3 to 5 minutes it won't stall any more and tach is on 9 steady. I've replaced battery, plugs, wires, rotor and dist cap but still has problem. Again if I let it warm up it will work fine.

Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 AT 9:57 AM

• Racefan966

I would check the coolant temp sensor. It is on or near the thermostat housing. If you have a digital multi meter then we can test it to see if it is out of range or not. Let me know what you want to do.

Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 AT 10:10 AM
  • Mcguckin

Thanks - I have a meter at home. Can you tell me how I'd test it. Also wondering if the rain has anthing to do with it?

Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 AT 10:13 AM
  • Racefan966

I may be related to the rain but more then likely related to temp. Use the diagram below for this test ok. Here is how it should ohm out and at what temp. now first term c to term a should be 1500 - 2000 ohms at 86 degrees. Then term c to term b should be 275 - 375 at 176 degrees. If out of range then replace the coolant temp sensor.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_153.jpg

Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 AT 10:24 AM