2002 Volkswagen Beetle

EARGADIN
  • 2002 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE
2002 Volkswagen Beetle 6 cyl

Hello. My bug is making a rattling noise when the tachometer is on the "2" dash mark. What is wrong with my car?
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 8:34 PM

JACK42
Gonna need a little more info than that. Does it continue to make the noise past 2 on the tach? Does acceleration change it? Does it do it at 2 in all gears or at a particular speed? Does the noise sound tinny, like a bolt in a coffee can? Any work been done to the car?
Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 9:02 PM
EARGADIN
Oh! I'm sorry. It doesn't make the rattling noise past the 2 and accelerating makes the noise stop. The noise sounds like something is dragging on the ground, but nothing is. It does it around the 20 or 30 MPH mark. Work hasn't been done on my car for a while.
Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 9:33 PM
JACK42
There are still alot of things it could be. The dragging sound is where we are going with this. It may be a bad wheel bearing. You need to lift and support the vehicle and check for a "loose" wheel. The wheel will have play in it even if tight if the wheel bearing is going out. Also spin thewheel to see if it feels rough or makes any noise. Have the brakes been checked recently?
Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 6:29 AM
EARGADIN
They have yes.
Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 12:42 PM
JACK42
Then check the wheel bearings
Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 2:36 PM