1974 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE CAN'T RELEASE TRUNK LATCH

• william waggener
  • 1974 Volkswagen Beetle

Interior problem
1974 Volkswagen Beetle 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 100, 00 miles

I have a Super Beetle convertible and I can't release the front trunk latch. I can pull the cable (in the glovebox) to release the latch and pull on the handle but the trunk lid won't open. I have pushed and pounded on the trunk but to no avail. Neither I or my neighbor who has extensive VW experience can figure out how to open the trunk.

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 12:12 PM

• M_H_RITZEL

The only thing you can try is have someone push down on the hood while you pull the lever to release the hood. You could use a pair of pliers on the hood release cable in the glove box to give you more of a pull. The only other way is by trying to get at the latch through the bottom apron pan.

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 1:52 PM
  • cifballer

I do not know much about the convertible frame, but in my 73 superbeetle I removed the front part of the frame so I could get to the underside of the spare tire. I then cut out the drain plug under the spare tire and then pushed up the spare tire until I could get my hands on the locking mechanism, I had to push it over manually while someone else opened the handle. I suggest the stronger of the two do the lifting, it isn't easy lifting the tire if things are on top of it. Once it was off (since I didnt have the cable to open it from the glove box) I removed the plunger thingy that goes into the locking mechanism so that the trunk could no longer lock on me. I only keep the flat spare tire and my trash in there anyways so I don't need to lock it.

Monday, August 9th, 2010 AT 6:51 AM