Very hard to start after fueling.

RUDYBREWER
  • 2007 SATURN AURA
The car runs great, then I stop to fuel up and after fueling I have to crank it for quite a long time for it to start again. After the initial start, it will start very quickly and easily, until the next tome I need gas. Was told not to fill it each time. Tried that and no matter how much or little I put in, it is the same.
Thursday, May 14th, 2015 AT 10:25 PM

SATURNTECH9
I have seen where the vent control solenoid sticks on causing too much vacuum to enter the tank you can take it to have the codes done or do them yourself by following this guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
+1
Friday, May 15th, 2015 AT 6:29 AM
RUDYBREWER
No, I was hoping to avoid the cost. Because it is such a specific problem, I thought maybe someone else had experienced it. I cannot let go of the key fast enough until I stop to fuel. Then, only on the initial startup, I have to crank anywhere from 20-40 seconds (or more) before it starts. After starting, the 1st few seconds, it sounds like an old carburator car that is flooded. It takes a few seconds to"clean out". Then it will start and run perfectly until the next gas stop where the whole process repeats itself.

I ordered a scanner today, Thanks.
+2
Friday, May 15th, 2015 AT 7:01 AM
SATURNTECH9
Usually when I hear a concern like that I think the vent solenoid system. If you dont live in California you can get your codes read for free at the auto parts store. At some point it might not start after a fill up.
+2
Friday, May 15th, 2015 AT 12:47 PM
RUDYBREWER
Hello, I just got checked. Have two codes, PO442 & PO496 both dealing with Evap emission. Not sure why my next step is now. Was told I have to now go through diagnostics test to find out.
Thursday, May 28th, 2015 AT 11:26 AM
SATURNTECH9
For the p0496 there has been tons of canister purge solenoids bad setting that code. With the canister purge solenoid unplugged I would see if you can blow thru it?They stick open allowing vacuum to always be flowing to the gas tank. That could explain the car hard to start after filling the tank.
+11
Thursday, May 28th, 2015 AT 7:02 PM