2003 VAUXHALL VECTRA ENGINE SURGING PROBLEMS

• Morephun
  • 2003 VAUXHALL VECTRA

2003 Vauxhall Vectra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 105000 miles

Hi my first post here so here goes.I have a 2003 vectra c 1.8 and it has a problem when I just slightly press or release the accelerator say in slow moving traffic or pulling away the car surges, its like a kangarooing feeling. It will do this at any speed only when I press the accelerator and when I fully release it, it does this when cruise control is engaged I can feel the car bucking when it speeds up and slows down. Things I have done checked the vacuum lines cleaned the throttle body/egr and have replaced maf and o2 sensors but still the same. Thanks guys

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 2:11 PM

• Dave H

Does the CEL/MIL (check engine light) ever show on the dash display? First thing to do is add a good fuel injector cleaner?. Let me know

Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 8:25 PM
  • Morephun

Hi I did try redex in the car but still the same
a few months after I had got the car the mil came on and got a fuel trim bank 1, the o2 sensor was replaced the light has never been back on since.I dunno what it is it drives me nuts, vauxhall even had it on tech2 reading live data but nothing any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

would a rolling road session pick up the fault?

Thursday, February 5th, 2009 AT 11:18 AM
  • Dave H

If they have already had Tech2 on it with live data. This should have been performed while road testing. So a rolling road is an option already used. Live data means exactly that. They are monitoring the systems while driving the vehicle? Is this what they did? Try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes. To delete all KAM (keep alive memory) from the ECU/PCM. Only do this if you have your radio code. The vehicle will then need a computer relearn drive cycle, standard drive in everyday stop and go traffic for around 15/20 mins. For the computer to relearn basic settings. Let me know

Friday, February 6th, 2009 AT 9:43 PM
  • Morephun

Hi I tried disconnecting for 30 mins after fitting both the o2 sensor and then the maf sensor still the car is the same. Its really hard for me to explain it seems to be if I push on the accelerator about 1cm the car will kangaroo(especially in traffic or going through town) but is fine the further I press like WOT and back is fine as long as its not fully released, if I fully release the acellerator or keep it at 1cm pressed down the car will kangaroo. Just seems to be a certain point

its like power/gone for a split second then power, not a smooth acceleration or deceleration

I have noticed a couple of times that the car feels like its going by itself when in 2nd gear(trying to go when I am braking)could be me I dont know

and sometimes need a bit more gas to get it to move like goin onto a driveway up kerbs or pulling away feels it wants to cut out and car shudders a bit

thanks for the help I have tried this on various forums and didnt get any help. Dont know if its the way I am trying to explain, but I'm not very vehicle litterate. Once again thank you for your help

Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 3:31 PM
  • Dave H

I had a similiar fault on a astra van (diesel) a couple of years ago. Turned out it was the TPS (throttle position sensor) faulty. But throwing no codes out. If I remember correctly it was actually the wiring to the sensor. But we had already changed the sensor anyway. Have you replaced or checked the TPS? Let me know

Sunday, February 8th, 2009 AT 7:18 PM
  • Morephun

No I havn't had a look at that. How would I go about checking it. Where is it located on the acelerator pedal or is it on the throttle body?Thanks

Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 4:08 AM
  • Dave H

TPS is located on the throttle body. Checking is a matter of measuring your getting correct voltage with pedal in the different positions. I do not have a chart of the voltage ranges for your vehicle. The vauxhall range was not released in the USA. Your easiest option would be to try swapping the TPS for another. Possibly try one from a recycle/scrap yard. You could see if your local library has a manual. But i'm not sure the manual will have a chart? Let me know?

Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 10:06 PM
  • Morephun

Ok got that checked out but its seems ok

any chance it could be clutch problems?

Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 12:06 PM
  • Dave H

I thought of clutch slip at the beginning but it's happening at irregular occurences? Could still be clutch slip. Does this occur when the engine is under pressure (ie.) Climbing hills etc. Or is it ALL the time?

Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 12:31 PM
  • Morephun

All the time from getting in to getting out. Thanks

Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 12:57 PM