2002 VAUXHALL ASTRA ALTERNATOR HAS AN OIL LEAK

• The Repair Lady
  • 2002 VAUXHALL ASTRA

2002 Vauxhall Astra 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive

Hiya, my Astra has had an oil leak for ages. So today I decided to find out where it's coming from.
I found that the alternator has a small hole the size of a match head on the back side where the Vac Pump is attached. The oil leak is from this little hole actually on the body of the Alternator which does look like a manufactured hole, I loosened and then tightened the 3 bolts holding the Vac Pump in place Although the leak is not from there. But 2 minutes after starting the engine the oil just keeps leaking out of the Alternator - Does this mean I need a new Alternator or does the Vac Pump have a gasket/seal that needs replacing?
Thank You for any advice

Thursday, April 22nd, 2010 AT 6:37 PM

• Dave H

You need to replace the alternator I'm afraid !

Saturday, April 24th, 2010 AT 3:12 AM
  • The Repair Lady

I have been told that I only need to replace the Vac Pump is this advice not right?
Thankyou for your advice wendy

Saturday, April 24th, 2010 AT 10:56 AM
  • Dave H

You could try replacing the pump. Or even just the seals. As I have not actually seen the car/fault first hand, I cannot say how bad the leak is. When leak is real bad an alternator replacement is usually necassary.

Sunday, April 25th, 2010 AT 1:14 AM
  • The Repair Lady

I bought a Brand-New Vac-Pump and fitted it with the Alternator still in place on the Astra Van. The one I took off the van didn't at all seem worn or damaged, the three carbon centerfugal brushes were as perfect as the new one. So I attatched all the pipes to the Vac-Pump - then started the engine - within one minute; there was the oil leak back! Coming out of the very same place on the alternator. You were so perfectly right and I do now need to replace the alternator after wasting money on a new Vac-Pump.

Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 AT 5:10 AM
  • The Repair Lady

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/519997_FRA983_rear_2.jpg

+1
Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 AT 5:30 AM
  • Dave H

Thanks for the update ...

Please use our forum in the future should the need arise .. and spread the word to family and friends etc.

Happy motoring

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_1140.png

Friday, April 30th, 2010 AT 3:21 AM