ALTERNATOR HAS AN OIL LEAK

2002 Vauxhall Astra

the repair lady

April, 22, 2010 AT 6:37 PM

2002 Vauxhall Astra 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive

Hiya, my Astra has had an oil leak for ages. So today I decided to find out where it's coming from.
I found that the alternator has a small hole the size of a match head on the back side where the Vac Pump is attached. The oil leak is from this little hole actually on the body of the Alternator which does look like a manufactured hole, I loosened and then tightened the 3 bolts holding the Vac Pump in place Although the leak is not from there. But 2 minutes after starting the engine the oil just keeps leaking out of the Alternator - Does this mean I need a new Alternator or does the Vac Pump have a gasket/seal that needs replacing?
Thank You for any advice

Oil Leak From Engine

Dave H

April, 24, 2010 AT 3:12 AM

You need to replace the alternator I'm afraid !

the repair lady

April, 24, 2010 AT 10:56 AM

I have been told that I only need to replace the Vac Pump is this advice not right?
Thankyou for your advice wendy

Dave H

April, 25, 2010 AT 1:14 AM

You could try replacing the pump. Or even just the seals. As I have not actually seen the car/fault first hand, I cannot say how bad the leak is. When leak is real bad an alternator replacement is usually necassary.

the repair lady

April, 28, 2010 AT 5:10 AM

I bought a Brand-New Vac-Pump and fitted it with the Alternator still in place on the Astra Van. The one I took off the van didn't at all seem worn or damaged, the three carbon centerfugal brushes were as perfect as the new one. So I attatched all the pipes to the Vac-Pump - then started the engine - within one minute; there was the oil leak back! Coming out of the very same place on the alternator. You were so perfectly right and I do now need to replace the alternator after wasting money on a new Vac-Pump.

the repair lady

April, 28, 2010 AT 5:30 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/519997_FRA983_rear_2.jpg

Dave H

April, 30, 2010 AT 3:21 AM

Thanks for the update ...

Please use our forum in the future should the need arise .. and spread the word to family and friends etc.

Happy motoring

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_1140.png

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front