LOW OIL PRESSURE

1961 Triumph

Ross Davis

October, 8, 2009 AT 9:46 AM

1961 Other Triumph Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

My car is a TR3A and its year is actually 1958. It has many modern updates including an oil cooler. At start up oil pressure is 90/100 psi. But as the oil gets warmer the pressure soon drops and within 10 minutes or less, the pressure drops to 5/10 which, of course, operates the warning light which shines brightly at pressure below 20psi!
After a run the oil cooler itself is cold to the touch. The two pipes up to the thermostat are very hot and the two pipes from the thermostat to the oil cooler are, one hot and one only warm. Does that not indicate that the oil cooler is working?
What can be wrong? I have recently replaced the oil pump but it has made no difference.

Docfixit

October, 8, 2009 AT 11:03 AM

Hi
Is oil making it to rockers? Has engine been overhauled? How many miles on it? Have you checked oil pressure relief valve for proper operation?

Ross Davis

October, 8, 2009 AT 5:42 PM

The rockers are getting oil, no problem there. The engine has been completely rebuilt and since that has done 2000 miles. Oil pressure relief spring and chrome ball have been replaced. The relief valve works ok.
Thank you for your time.

Docfixit

October, 9, 2009 AT 8:46 AM

Try another oil pres. Gague to verify there is pressure loss.

Ross Davis

October, 9, 2009 AT 3:39 PM

I am sorry but that is a really dumb answer to my problem. Thank you for your interest but I see no point in continuing any discussions with you.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro