Transmission TCC Solenoid and repair

TRIPLETDADDY
  • 2000 FORD WINDSTAR
I suspect I am having problems with the TCC as the van is stalling when coming to a stop, hunting, harsh shifts, and just recently got the codes P1741 and P0741. I am trying to decide between several possible options and anything you folks can add. Irregardless, I will do a fluid flush and new filter and fluid. First, I could just replace the one or all five solenoids, which is the least I would do. Second, I could replace the five solenoids and rebuild the valve body. Third, I could get for a very reasonable amount of money on eBay a fully rebuilt valve body with all new solenoids for about the cost of a set of the five solenoids and a valve body rebuild kit. The only problem with this method is having to remove the valve body in a tight space with a lot of bolts, though the valve body may also have to come off if I rebuilt it. I have read that if there is any debris, especially metal, rebuilding the valve body would be a good idea. Is there anything else I should look for or do?

Lastly, any tips on gaining access to the cover and making the repairs? I have seen and read about getting at the cover without removing the transmission.
Wednesday, May 17th, 2017 AT 12:59 AM

More than likely your converter clutch is bad not the solenoid. But pictures show testing to do for both codes you are getting shift solenoids and possibly TCC may come as one unit not separate.
Wednesday, May 17th, 2017 AT 7:11 AM
TRIPLETDADDY
Thanks. I think I followed you but not entirely because of it being abbreviated and running together. You suspect the TCC, which is inside the TC, is bad, not the tCC solenoid, and you have supplied test methods for the codes I have to verify that. Your last point just does not make sense with what I said and asked, maybe about getting a complete valve body vs. Getting and replacing just the five solenoids. Thanks for the tests. Will need time to work through them, though I have already done some basic ohms testing across the solenoids with nothing wrong with them at that time.
I understand there is a TSB for P1741 and P1744 related to the TCC which I need to find and read. Thanks
Thursday, May 18th, 2017 AT 2:01 AM
Pretty much the TSB will not effect this car due to age as most have been fixed but pictures show most of it and what to check. It can also be a worn pump bushing, or converter like I have already said. Also, if you open pan and debris in it then it may be time for a rebuild. Debris is large pieces not like thrust bearing pieces which are very small. See pictures.
Thursday, May 18th, 2017 AT 6:42 AM
KEN

The torque converter had problems failing apart in those cars, you might be better off getting a rebuilt unit with the transmission since it now has metal all through it. Also you are going to want to replace the radiator as well becasue there is metal in the cooler.

This can go either way, the tough part of automotive repair :) I hope it just the solenoid.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, May 18th, 2017 AT 6:13 PM
VIKKIDS
  • 2002 FORD WINDSTAR
After traveling up a steep incline, engine was running but transmission drive was no longer engaged. The car has had a check engine light, which my husband continued to blame the gas cap. Earlier in the day, I sensed
car shimmers. I can tell reverse will engage, but forward drive will not. Could this be the power train solenoid, transmission solenoid, or shift interlock solenoid?

Thank you
Thursday, May 18th, 2017 AT 6:14 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9
We need to start by getting the exact code numbers not code descriptions in the computer that will help us try to figure out whats going on.
+1
CHERYLCALHOUNLIPPERD
  • 2003 FORD WINDSTAR
There is no voltage to transmission solenoids I need to know how to identify correct circuit I have no owners manual
+1
Are you referring to the shift solenoids?
Just fyi, and I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but on the left side of the engine compartment, there is a battery junction box. In there, fuses 2, 19, and 20 power. Fuse 19 which will have a red and yellow wire coming from it, supplies power to shift solenoid A, B, and C, the torque converter clutch solenoid and the pressure control solenoid.

Let me know if any of this helps.
+1
CHERYLCALHOUNLIPPERD
Thank you. I think thats exactly what I needed.
-1
Glad to help. Let me know if you need anything else.

+1
ACARMICHAEL
  • 2002 FORD WINDSTAR
I have a 2002 Ford Windstar that today all of a sudden would barely move. It seemed to be running fine but just wouldn't move. I made it to Autozone and they hooked up their diagnostic equipment and 34 codes came up! Some misfiring, solenoids in transmission bad, mass air flow sensor and more. I took it to a garage and the guy drove it and said the plugs misfiring are what's causing the codes to come up and show the transmission as bad. Is that possible?
+1
Yes it's possible, if an engine doesn't run right the trans won't either
+1