Transmission fluid leaking into radiator

MUHAM12116
  • 2002 BUICK CENTURY
I bought the car listed above used. I opened the radiator cap and it had brown stuff in the antifreeze.
I went to the mechanic to get a coolant flush and he said the transmission fluid is leaking into the radiator. I personally don’t think it is transmission fluid as the car has been working fine and I have driven it 600 miles so far since I got it.
What's your opinion?
I think its just the coolant hasn't been flushed for many years since it's an old car and I don't see any coolant flush in the Carfax since 2012.
Monday, July 27th, 2020 AT 12:40 PM

KASEKENNY1
This is definitely oil but I would not suspect transmission fluid on this vehicle. The transmission oil cooler is part of the radiator so unless this has failed, I doubt it is transmission fluid. Is there a reason they are saying it is transmission fluid?

If it is engine oil this guide will help. However, have you checked the transmission for coolant as well?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolantantifreeze-in-the-engine-oil
Monday, July 27th, 2020 AT 1:19 PM

Sponsored links