REAR AXLE(SUSPECT)- FAULT DIAGNOSIS

2003 Toyota Van

leopaul

February, 23, 2010 AT 1:44 AM

2003 Toyota Van 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 75000k miles

Dear Sir,
I shall be grateful if you could give me your expert advice to rectify the following problem.

My Toyota Townace KR42 emits a metalic sound (an audible metalic clunk) from rear when starting to move forward or backwards ( from parked position) and also while coasting below 45 kmph when accelarating or decelearating sometimes. The vehicle is in good condition except for this noise which developed 2 months back.
Toyota Company checked the Crown wheel /Pinion backlash and found to be within limits. Yet without success. Agents advised to replace the Crown wheel / Pinion assembly. Parts are not available.
Sir, I thank you for your valuable time in this regard and looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards

Leo

New Axel Noise

Axle Noise

mhpautos

February, 23, 2010 AT 2:04 AM

Hi there,

The type of noise you describe is more constant with a faulty universal joint, I would be inspecting these first.

leopaul

February, 23, 2010 AT 10:26 PM

Sir,
Thanks for kind advice. The two piece type propeller shaft and 3 universal joints are sound.

I intend removing the propeller shaft assembly, centre bearing assembly and checking splines of drive pinion flange/universal joint sleeve yoke with an trusted mechanic. The noise comes with first forward movement. Thereafter no sound with the release of the clutch in forward direction. If moving backward sound is heard. Could it be some component getting stuck and being released.

Appreciate your kind opinion

Best Regards

Leo

mhpautos

February, 23, 2010 AT 10:49 PM

Hi there,

If the uni's are all sound, the next place I would be checking is all the rear suspension mounts, it may be something moving with weight transfer when drive is taken up, what you can try is to have the car on a slight decline, place in gear and put the clutch in, with hand brake off allow the car move a little then let clutch off, this will give a slight pre load to the diff pinion, do a down Hill hand brake start trying to take up load before releasing hand break, with the pre load taken up in the diff any noise on drive away should be suspension based, wort a try.

Axle Seal Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Level Check
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD
Differential Fluid Service - Front
Differential Fluid Drain/Refill