AIR BAG LIGHT IS ON

2003 Toyota Tundra

donicas

July, 29, 2009 AT 5:25 PM

Steering problem
2003 Toyota Tundra 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 97,000 miles

I took this newly acquired truck to a dealer to check it over and find out why the air bag light was on. They said the truck needs a spiral cable and sensor assembly to make the bags work again. There estimate was $850 incl labor.
I then went on the internet to get a quote from a well respected independent mechanic (I have never used them). He said he thinks I must be referring to a " clock spring assembly" that goes in the steering column. His quote is $330.
My question is do you think they are talking about the same part? I would hate to spend $330 and then find out the problem isn't repaired. On the other hand, I hate to spend $850 if I can get the same job for $330.

mhpautos

July, 29, 2009 AT 11:14 PM

Hi there,

If you can give me the fault code I can tell you what the problem is, post it here. You will need to get a scan do to get the code.

donicas

July, 30, 2009 AT 8:27 AM

Where do I find the fault code? I don't want to take it back to the Toyota shop unless I am getting it repaired there. They've already charged me $55.00 dollars just for looking at it. (They said they would apply it to the repair).
What I need to know is the spiral cable and sensor assembly the same part as the clock spring assembly.

mhpautos

July, 30, 2009 AT 8:47 AM

Hi there,

yes these are the same part, it's just that here we only refer to it as the clock spring, I had never heard of it being referred to as a spiral cable & sensor, just a case of different terminology for different country's.

donicas

July, 30, 2009 AT 8:54 AM

Thank you for the information