EGR PROBLEM (DIFFERENT)

1995 Toyota Tercel

hudsonhornet

July, 30, 2007 AT 4:28 AM

146,000 miles. 4 cylinder, 3-speed automatic.
I just bought this car, and the light came on, obviously the people who sold it turned it off, but thats another story.

The code was an EGR failure. I took it to a very trusted mechanic and he replaced the EGR valve and the Solenoid valve. He said they were cloged up with a crystal like substance. This problem started again and it continues to give EGR code, and the crystal like substance continues to clog the EGR valve. Is this carbon build up? Or is this something else. And estimate as to how much it is to clean the intake manifold?

Egr Valve

hudsonhornet

August, 1, 2007 AT 5:27 PM

Well, after not recieving anything from the Mechanics, I searched multiple internet sites and found that it isnt that hard to clean the throttle body. I did it myself and it fixed the engine near stalling problem.

Be carefull not to use too much of the cleaner without starting your engine once or twice during the process. It took almost 2 minutes of attempted starting before my car finnaly gave that blissfull cloud of white smoke and then ran clear as a bell.

(car doesnt usually blow white smoke, thats the chemical burning)