REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
When draining coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant may be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
22R and 22R-E Engines
See Figure 1
1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Unfasten the fan shroud securing bolts and remove the fan shroud, if so equipped.
Fig. Fig. 1: Exploded view of the water pump mounting-22R and 22R-E engines
3. Loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and remove the drive belt.
4. Remove the air conditioning and/or power steering pump drive belt.
5. Detach the bypass hose from the water pump.
6. Unfasten the water pump retaining bolts and remove the water pump and fan assembly, using care not to damage the radiator with the fan.
7. Install the water pump and tighten the mounting bolts to 27 ft. Lbs. (37 Nm). Always use a new gasket between the pump body and its mounting.
8. Install the drive belts and adjust the tension.
9. Refill the cooling system, start the engine and check for leaks.
See Figure 2
1. Drain the coolant from the engine and radiator.
2. Loosen the idler pulley and adjusting bolts to remove the power steering belt.
Fig. Fig. 2: Exploded view of the water pump mounting on the 3F-E engine
3. Disconnect the coolant reservoir hose and the radiator inlet hose.
4. Remove the bolts holding the fan shroud.
5. Remove the alternator drive belt, fan, fluid coupling, and water pump pulley.
6. Remove the alternator.
7. Remove the air conditioning belt.
8. Disconnect the four hoses from the water pump.
9. Remove bolt, two nuts and power steering idler pulley with the bracket assembly.
10. Remove the bolt and nut, alternator support bracket, water pump and gasket.
11. Install a new gasket, the water pump and alternator support bracket with the bolt and nut.
12. Install the power steering idler pulley with the bracket assembly.
13. Tighten the water pump nuts and bolt to 27 ft. Lbs. (37 Nm).
14. Install the air conditioning belt and adjust it.
15. Connect the hoses to the water pump.
16. Install the alternator.
17. Install the water pump pulley along with the fan and fluid coupling. Place the drive belt(s) onto each pulley; press down to tighten the belts against the pulley and tighten the four nuts. Adjust the belt tension.
18. Install the fan shroud bolts.
19. Attach the radiator inlet hose and connect the reservoir hose.
20. Install and adjust the power steering belt.
21. Install the proper amount of coolant in the system.
22. Start the engine and check for leaks.
Thursday, July 1st, 2010 AT 12:01 PM