LOW OIL LEVEL - DAMAGE?

Toyota Sienna

grand7up

November, 14, 2007 AT 11:04 PM

I have a 2005 Toyota Sienna, 3.3 V6 with 52,000 miles. I got my oil changed at a local discount center. When they removed the old fuel filter, they did not remove the old gasket. They put the fnew uel filter on. Thus it was double gasketed and a seal was not made. I drove the van a total of 30 miles(not continous. Drive and park, drive and park, etc.) Before I realized there was a problem. The oil light went on and the van started making noise. I drove it an additional 2 miles to get home. It was down 3 1/2 quarts of oil. I had a mechanic check it and the engine cleaned. There is nothing else I can do. Except hope that 25,000 miles from now, the engine doesn't break down. Is there a good chance that my engine will be okay?

mhpautos

November, 15, 2007 AT 8:58 PM

Hi there,

I would take a sample of engine oil and go get it analyzed, they will be able to determine contaminants and metal from the bearings in suspension in the oil. It would of been ideal to get a sample before it was topped up, but that's not to be. Modern engines run on very close tolerances and any bearing noise due to lack of lubricant is far from desirable. You will be able to get a better idea when you get the oil sample report. Take this to a qualified mechanic preferably with extensive engine building experience. (Maybe a motor racing operation) for an opinion.
Good luck.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Taurus
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic