WON'T START

2002 Toyota Sienna

ptalabis

March, 15, 2009 AT 3:45 PM

2002 Toyota Sienna 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 91500 miles

A few days ago, the wife complained that the van's mileage is dropping. This morning, I tried to start the van and it would turn (tells me that there's battery power) but the engine won't catch. I opened the hood and see that the oil is at the minimum mark on the dip stick. I added a quart of oil and it is now between the min and max mark of the dip stick. I tried to start but the same result. I tried to start but this time, I pressed the accelerator pedal. The engine started but it would cut-off as soon as I release the accelerator pedal. What do you think is the problem?

shousek@cox.net

May, 18, 2009 AT 9:08 AM

I've had this exact same problem with my Sienna (2002 also). I can get my van to run by keeping my foot on the accelerator until the car warms up, (this seems to work faster if you can actually drive for 30 seconds or so). Check your idle control valve as I can also get the van to keep running (a bit shaky though) if I disconnect the tubing attached to the idle control valve. I'm not sure yet if replacing this valve will fix the problem as we just figured this out this past weekend.

I've had this problem intermittently for almost 2 years. Toyota keeps telling me it's my O2 sensor and has replaced it a few times. It's not! Good luck.

ptalabis

May, 18, 2009 AT 1:59 PM

You're right. It is something with the Idle Air Control valve. I had my mechanic clean this out and it worked after that. Sienna's seem to have this problem a lot.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang