ENGINE WONT STAY RUNNING

2001 Toyota Sienna

dameb

February, 27, 2008 AT 4:17 AM

2001 Toyota Sienna 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85800 miles

When I start my Toyota it will turn over and fire but if you dont put a little gas pedal into it the van wont start. As soon as you take your foot off the pedal it dies. I have no engine light or battery light. Also if you keep the engine reved to rougly an idle RPM and put it in gear it will stay running. I havent tried taking it on the road because I dont want to get stranded. Another thing is it will rev up. With out stalling out or hesitation. Could it be water in the fuel or a fuel pumpor something else. Thanks

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jack42

February, 27, 2008 AT 8:07 AM

For starters have the PCM (computer) scanned for codes, Autozone will do it for free. If the PCM sees a problem it will store a code that will help in diagnosing the problem, get back with the exact codes. Try cleaning the Idle Air Control Motor. Also clean out around the butterfly in the throttle bore with carb cleaner and a rag. This should help stabilize the idle.

dameb

March, 3, 2008 AT 10:38 AM

When I start my Toyota it will turn over and fire but if you dont put a little gas pedal into it the van wont start. As soon as you take your foot off the pedal it dies. I have no engine light or battery light. Also if you keep the engine reved to rougly an idle RPM and put it in gear it will stay running. I havent tried taking it on the road because I dont want to get stranded. Another thing is it will rev up. With out stalling out or hesitation. I pulled the throttle body off and cleaned that along with the idle control valve. It ran fine for 3 days and started doing the same thing as stated above. Could it be more junk in the TCV or did it crap out on me? Thanks for all the help before. Could you please help again. Oh yeah I cant get the computer downloaded. Because it is stuck at my house and I dont want it to get stuck anywhere else.

Jack42

March, 3, 2008 AT 11:59 AM

You might have a bad IAC (idle air control). You need to get it to have the codes read, otherwise this is just guess work. The code will point us in the right direction

x1745

April, 7, 2008 AT 12:56 PM

My 01 Sienna has the same problem
I checked the code reader but no error code
where IAC is located any picture would be very helpful

meltillis

December, 6, 2008 AT 11:03 PM

I own a 2001 Toyota Sienna, it would not stay running when at Idle. Toyota put an line from the exhaust into the throttle body to help return and burn any excess fuel originally not burned the first time thru the system. On my vehicle I have taken the hose off of the throttle body down to where this exhaust line re-enters the throttle body (right at the butter fly valve in the throttle body). I cleaned the carbon that had built up around the butter fly valve (with carburetor spray cleaner) to remove the carbon. Reassembled the disassembled componets. My vehicle then idled properly. Other wise you must keep the vehicle above an idle to keep it running. When you had to stop or slow down and the idle dropped low enough the engine would die. After cleaning it has worked fine. I hope this help other Sienna owners.