DRIVE SHAFT

Toyota Rav4

Jill rose

February, 6, 2007 AT 12:47 AM

How expensive might it be to fix/replace the drive shaft in my 1996 toyota Rav4?

Service Writer

February, 6, 2007 AT 5:46 AM

What is wrong with it?

Need more info.

Jill rose

February, 6, 2007 AT 9:56 PM

It makes a " thunk" sound and kind of jostles the car when I take my foot off the gas mostly in second gear and often when I'm driving. A friend said that is what it is and eventually it will have to be replaced.

Service Writer

February, 7, 2007 AT 5:22 AM

Typically a bad drive shaft will exhibit a vibration. Not often do driveshafts have to be replaced.

Does the clunk happen when you first put it in gear with you foot on the brake pedal? If so, I would suspect a bad u-joint on the driveshaft.

Where does the clunk seem to be coming from? Under you, in front in the engine compartment? Behind you? Left side, right side?

Jill rose

February, 7, 2007 AT 9:30 PM

Thank you. I don't notice any major vibration- minor perhaps when I'm on the highway. The klunk seems to be in the back and center of the car. Is a U joint expensive to maintenance?

Service Writer

February, 8, 2007 AT 5:27 AM

Does the clunk happen when you first put it in gear with you foot on the brake pedal?

Jill rose

February, 8, 2007 AT 1:09 PM

1996 toyota rav4 131,000 miles 4 cylinder

yes, I believe it does.

Service Writer

February, 8, 2007 AT 4:37 PM

I would guess a couple hundred dollars?

Jill rose

February, 8, 2007 AT 11:58 PM

Thank you.

February, 9, 2007 AT 12:41 AM

Hmm.I like that flying reminds me during my teens. Sounds to me Mr. SW is right on track with the U-Joint also check for a center bearing psroblem.

A DIY can do it less than a couple/couple of hundreds. Heck, I'll do it for a 12pack of B/Lite and a round trip ticket

Service Writer

February, 9, 2007 AT 3:19 AM

Ras,
Are you flirtin with the girls?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_happey_beer_2.jpg

:lol:

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Replace Drive Shaft U-Joint Like a Pro
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda