Rattling noise - rear

VALGLAD
  • 2007 TOYOTA RAV4

Noises problem 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 54000 miles

I have a strange rattling noise coming from underneath my car (rear). It only occurs when I gently accelerate and cross 40 mph (within 2-3 mph). The car is almost shaking and making this loud noise, but when I cross 40mph it disappears. Also it seems making turns contributes to it. If I accelerate fast, there is no noise. I don't recall hitting anything, so I kinda doubt it's wheelbearing.

Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 5:45 PM

Take a rubber mallot and tap on the exhaust system. Check to see if there is a heat shield ratteling or the inside of the catylatic converter is loose inside.

Let me know what you find.

Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 3:18 PM
GENE G

I had the same problem. I looked under the car for another reason and found the vapor recovery canister which is made of plastic had a 1 inch diameter hole in it. Probably from a rock or something. The canister is located under the car near the drivers door. The hole caused a vacuum leak. I plugged the hole with FLEXTAPE and now there is no more shake and shudder at 35 to 45 mph.

Saturday, September 2nd, 2017 AT 5:05 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken

Monday, September 4th, 2017 AT 8:20 PM