Check engine light and coughing and sputter

SILVEROZEE
  • 1999 TOYOTA RAV4
Engine was replaced a couple years ago with a Japanese job. It has had an intermittent cough for a few weeks which I thought may be due to bad gas so I switched stations and it seemed ok for a few days but now the cough is worse and to day the check engine light came on and car runs very sluggish and back fires a bit. Check engine light does not stay on but for a few minutes then either goes out or starts blinking.
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 4:17 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

There is a code stored in the ECU memory this will be an indication as to your problem, get a scan and report the code here for more assistance. Some auto parts stores will scan for free, call a few and find out.

Check out the guide below on check engine lights and common causes

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/check-engine-light-top-ten-reasons
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 5:19 PM
KIDCARDIO
  • 1999 TOYOTA RAV4
My engine check light code is p1130, what should I check first?
Monday, October 22nd, 2018 AT 7:07 PM (Merged)
DTC P1130 BANK ONE, SENSOR ONE, AIR FUEL RATIO SENSOR" might want to inspect the wiring if okay replace the sensor and see what happens

Its located on left side of engine in center of engine compartment in exhaust -sorry no pic for exact location
CHEVYCAMPERMAN
  • 2006 TOYOTA RAV4
Engine Mechanical problem 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

So my check engine light, VSC light and 4x4 light all came on at the same time. I changed the gas cap and the lights went on, a week later all the lights are now back on. I'm trying to figure out what is wrong and causing this.
KEN

It sounds like you have a main relay that is going out IGN2, IGN1 or power relay that is out, Here is a power distribution wiring diagram so you can see what I am talking about. It must be one of these becasue some many system are affected.

Here is a guide to help confirm the failure.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Here are the power diagrams and fuse panel location and diagrams

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
BOB B
  • 2000 TOYOTA RAV4
Problem: Check engine Light stays on in warm weather.
Toyota, RAV4, 2000, engine size: 2 Liters, 39,000 miles,
OBD2 Code Reader Indicates Two Error Codes:
1) PO171: System Too Lean (Bank 1)
2) P1130: Air-Fuel Sensor Circuit Range / Performance.
What do I need to replace to fix the Check engine Light so I do not have the check engine light on all the time?

BOB B
e-mail: boburch@juno. Com.
Monday, October 22nd, 2018 AT 7:08 PM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
First thing I would check for is an air leak such as on the snorkel going to the throttle body. Also check the oil cap, dipstick and pcv valve for proper seating. The first code is probably the result of the second one.
However the strategy is to check the po171 first. It isn't as simple as just replacing a part based on a code as autozone would like you to think.

According to Mitchell 1:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_rav4_1.jpg

Since the problem happens in warm weather. I would lean towards testing the ECT as well as checked the the air leak.
STANMARTENSON
  • 2002 TOYOTA RAV4
I have a check engine light constantly on. I took it to the auto parts store who has a gauge or whatever it's called that reads the check engine light. It says that theres a misfire on cylinders 1&2. They say that it's either the spark plugs, coils, or injectors that are bad. I have replaced all the spark plugs and have tswitched coil 1 & 3 with each other and it still reads there's a misfire on 1&2 so I figure that the coils are fine. Do u believe that this anlalysis is correct and that it is indeed the injectors?

Also on a seperate note what is the 4 spark plug looking "things" that are attached to whatever it is just below or in front of the engine block. They have wiring which at the end has a clip that is clipped into another clip. Thanks
Check the compression and injectors for those cylinders
KACORT
  • 1998 TOYOTA RAV4
Hello Car People -

My check engine light came on about 6 months ago and went out after I bought gas. It came on again a month ago and when I removed and retightened the gas cap, it went out. Sadly, it came on again and this did not "fix" it. The light did go out on a short highway drive but came back on when I restarted the car. The mechanic says an EGR code came up and that they could chase that problem and still not find it but that it could be the EGR valve. Could you please share your expertise?

Thanks much -
Katie
BMRFIXIT
Most common is the EGR valve vacuum solenoid
also check and clean the EGR valve
JARGREEN
  • 2001 TOYOTA RAV4
My check engine light recently came on in my '01 Toyota Rav-4 (107,000 miles). I took it to Autozone and the error code was P1135 - Air/Fuel Sensor Heater Circuit Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1). It also said that the probable cause was either (1) Open or Short Circuit Condition, or (2) Poor electrical connection.

I've looked at a lot of forums online, and I guess this has something to do with the upstream O2 sensor, on the firewall side of the left exhaust manifold.

What I'm really asking here is, Is this a serious problem? Is it something I need to get fixed right away? See, because of my present circumstances, I don't have any expendable income for the next three months. If it's a repair job costing more than $20, I simply can't fix it. Will my car be destroyed?

Thanks in advance for any responses!
A bad sensor may prevent the system from going into closed loop, and usually causes the fuel mixture to run rich causing an increase in fuel consumption and emissions.
MARTIN N. AARVåG
  • 2004 TOYOTA RAV4
  • TURBO
I have a problem, usually uphill but not every time. Vsc/trc lamp and the engine light lights up, and I loose all engine power. I can just turn off the engine and turn it back on to keep on driving. Then the vsc/trc lights is gone but the engine light is still on but it goes away after a few hours or the next day.
Scan fro codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent it.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
JCUTKOMP
  • 2000 TOYOTA RAV4
My engine light came on about a month ago then a couple of weeks later, I noticed that the car shakes when turning it on. It shakes pretty bad but goes away after I start driving it. It shakes while it is in idle but not when I reverse or drive. I think it is getting worse and feels like its going to stop running.
The shaking means the engine is misfiring and it is likely the result of ignoring the Check Engine light. When it turns on that means the Engine Computer detected a problem, often before it turns serious, and it set a diagnostic fault code to tell you what that problem is. The place to start is by having the code(s) read and recorded. They will indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis.
STARWISHER115
  • 2000 TOYOTA RAV4
  • AWD
I have cleaned the MAF & replaced the air filter, disconnected the battery to reset the computer, light came back on about 10 miles later. Car is running better since the cleaning (low idle when first started, little acceleration going uphill). How do I find out if it's the sparkplugs, O2 sensor, needs new MAF, vacuum leak or something else? Seems there are a lot of possibiltiies to cause this. Any ideas?
KHLOW2008
Hi starwisher115,

When the MIL indicates, trouble code(s) would be stored in the Power Control Module. You would need to retrieve the trouble code to understand what is cauing the MIL to show.

Get a free scan done at Autozone and let me know the exact trouble code so I can assit in solving the problem.
+1
STARWISHER115
I had the codes read & got PO171. Have also noticed turning on the A.C. Really affects the acceleration & idle.
I didn't remove the MAF when I cleaned it, Would that have made a difference?
Is there any site that would give me step by step directions on replacing the MAF myself?
+1