1996 Toyota Rav4 how to care for a car that's used only onc

PATWRATH
  • 1996 TOYOTA RAV4

1996 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

I own this car in CA but live in HI. I visit every 6 weeks to 2 months when I use the car for short errands. How many miles/minutes should this vehicle be driven per week/month to keep it running well. I follow mfg recommended maintenance and usually take one 2000 mile trip each summer. Does it have to be driven to keep the battery charged and the oil moving?

Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 1:09 PM

Actually, just follow the manufacturer's recommendations. However, since you don't put a lot of miles on the car, change the oil every 3K or 1 year whichever comes first. Also, they make a battery charger that is made to maintain the battery charge without overcharging it. I believe they are called a maintenance charger. Basically, it only charges the battery when it starts getting low but stops before overcharging.

The oil is important to change at a minimum of 3k or 1 year because moisture gathers, so make sure to do that.

IF you have other questions, let me know, and thanks for 2carpros. Com.

Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 2:56 PM