HOW TO KNOW IF ENGINE IN GOOD SHAPE?

2005 Toyota Prius

impellitteri

December, 14, 2009 AT 2:00 PM

2005 Toyota Prius 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 36000 miles

I'm planning to buy from a private party. What tests should be performed? Will any good mechanic suffice for a hybrid? Any trouble spots to be wary of?

mhpautos

December, 14, 2009 AT 9:19 PM

Hi there,

thank you for the donation,

All the standard items are the same, engine, brakes, suspension, so any mechanic should have the ability to check this out with out a problem, the only thing I would get a dealer to do is check the electrical system, the battery pack and the electric motor and transmission interface, I personally have never had access to one, I would ask the owner to allow you to have this inspected by a dealer first, if they are genuine about the condition of the car, they should not have an objection to you getting this done for your own piece of mind.

FordRacing24

June, 18, 2010 AT 11:49 AM

Exactly what he said Toyota battery packs, the 144 volt one in the back should only be checked by someone certified to do so.

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Jeep Wrangler
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement