STEERING WHEEL SHAKES

2001 Toyota Prius

vikings35#

September, 20, 2010 AT 2:26 PM

Steering problem
2001 Toyota Prius 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

WHEN TURNING SHARP LEFT AT SLOW SPEED, LIKE A u TURN THE LEFT FRONT WHEEL SHAKES UP THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL, IT ALSO HAPPENS WHEN BACKING UP TO THE LEFT AT SLOW SPEED. ANY SUGGESTIONS OF WHAT TO LOOK FOR?

fitela

The steering in Prius has electric power assist. There is a torque sensor in rack&pinion unit where attaches to steering column. This torque sensor detects difference in upper column rotation compared to below sensor rotation, sends info data to ECU and ECU sends signal to assist motor as to which direction and how much boost is required.
The sensor is (and this is the bad news) not a spare part (YET). It is part of the rack&pinion(about $1400DUS). If anyone has figured out how to repair and/or replace just the sensor there are a couple hundred people that would like to know. Myself included.
The good news is I don't think this problem will ever leave you stranded, just frustrated, angry etc.

Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Steering Intermediate Shafts Replacement
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer