1993 Toyota Previa

WHEELIEZ
  • 1993 TOYOTA PREVIA
1993 Toyota Previa 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I am just wondering how to remove the distributor and properly replace it. I suspect that is my problem.

For some time now my toyota previa will not rev beyond 2400 RPM, no matter how hard you accelerate. Also when it rains, or I run through a puddle, the vehicle quits.

I am also wondering how to access the spark plugs and wires as they are under the van. It is a Mid-engine setup.

I am greatful for any assistance you can provide
Thursday, July 24th, 2008 AT 1:57 AM

The throttle position sensor wire harness is known to be a trouble maker-that can be causing your problem.

To get to the distributor you need to remove the skid plate below it.

For the sparkplugs its under the passenger seat, you have to remove the seat and cover below it to expose them
Thursday, July 24th, 2008 AT 2:16 AM
WHEELIEZ
I don't believe that it would be my TPS wiring harness as I got the replacement harness kit, and replaced a suspected bad TPS at the same time, which leads me to my distributor.
Thursday, July 24th, 2008 AT 2:40 AM
When you replaced the TPS did you check the closed and WOT voltages? Also tested the MAF sensor-
Thursday, July 24th, 2008 AT 4:07 AM
WHEELIEZ
Closed throttle 0 volts
WOT 10 volts.

Airflow meter was recently replaced for the one time low low price of $1427.43
Thursday, July 24th, 2008 AT 11:35 AM
WHEELIEZ
Ok finally got the plugs and wires changed and I cannot access the distributor cap from under the passenger seat. Is it better to go from under the vehicle? One more note, I had indicated that it would not rev beyone 2400 RPM, that is only when in gear. When it's in neutral or park, it will rev to red-line. Now, if I shift manually, it goes like a bat out of hell, but when it shifts on its own, it won't rev and there is no kick-down. Any thoughts? I have already been to the dealership and sought their advice. They inspected the cable and adjusted it to factory specifications. I am gettin frustrated with this vehicle. HELP! PLEASE!
Friday, August 8th, 2008 AT 2:18 PM