POWER STEERING

Toyota Pickup

odie28

March, 3, 2007 AT 10:45 AM

I own a 2004 Toyota Tundra, 41000 k 4.7l V-8. The power steering "wines" and is hard to turn after the vehicle warms up. When cold there are no problems, it acts like there is air in the system the lines have been bled and fluid levels remain normal. Any help is appreciated....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62086_IMGP1392_1.jpg

Joemechanic

March, 13, 2007 AT 4:06 AM

The pump could be going bad: losing it's ability to move the power steering fluid at lower viscosities, which means when the fluid is heated, it becomes thinner, and looses some of it's resistance to flow, and thus slipping past worn pump parts, when it is cold it is thicker, and has a much higher resistance to flow, enabling a worn pump to move the fluid, hard to imagine though a toyota pump with only 41k being worn out. Has there ever been any contamination to the reservoir, water, dust or any foreign material can cause premature wear. If I were you I would buy a bottle of Lucas power steering treatment and add it to the system, I have had Excellent results with this product, it is positively amazing, it is cheap and at least worth a try before spending big money on parts.I have added this stuff to hondas, and toyotas with gushing leaks, whines, worn out rack and pinions, and as if magically they return to operational condition, hope this is helpful

Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200