93 TRUCK, V6, DOWN TO 5...

1993 Toyota Pickup

xero256

May, 18, 2007 AT 4:40 PM

Hey!

I have a Toyota pickup:
1993
153k
V6, 3.0
4wd

During the last hurricane, I went through some deep water too fast and it flooded the engine. The engine stalled and after a few hours a friend towed me out. At this point I put my truck into 2nd gear and eased out the clutch to get her started again. It worked, but she hasn't run the same since. Talked to a Toyota dealership and when they ran diagnostics, #6 cylinder had lost compression due to a bent rod. It makes sense how it happened (ever tried to compress water?).

Since #6 is dead weight regardless of what I do, I'd like to " turn off" the injector and the spark to that cylinder. What I need to know is what will that do to the rest of the engine? Is it really a good idea to begin with?

My truck has been running in its current condition for about 4-5 months now and will have to continue for another 6. When I do take my truck into a garage and overhaul the engine, after the abuse it has taken since the flooding, what kind of condition will the rest of the engine be in at that point?

Xero from Hampton

Jack42

May, 18, 2007 AT 5:48 PM

No real good way to " shut" that cylinder down. You are damaging it more and more the longer you drive it. Not to mention the damage being done to the cat converter from the raw fuel. If you must drive it, unplug the injector, thats the only thing I can think of to stop the fuel. If you unplug the spark plug wire it will crossfire everywhere creating othe rmisses

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz