READING CODES WITHOUT A READER

1990 Toyota Pickup

jmh32247

December, 24, 2008 AT 9:36 AM

Computer problem
1990 Toyota Pickup 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 68000 miles

On Chevy we used to be able to short pins and get the codes to flash. I have not found anyone with a Datum 1 (or whatever it is called) to look at the codes after getting the check engine light. Probably the dealer for $80 but Auto Zone does it for free but does not have the old unit.

On this Toyota, were is the connector and can you trigger the codes with the pins like a chevy and if so what pins? Just bought this one used. It is a micro mini motor home with Toyota truck frame. It also would not start once(free spins without firing or fuel) but finally did start. My chevy had things that do not show up on diagrams or in the codes that prevent the starting. One was low transmission fluid or pressure - not sure which - which I jumped out the relay for the fuel pump and got it running but burnt up the transmission as it was low but had no indication. Checked this and other levels but found no problems on the Toyota.

Let me know.

John Hamilton

Ecm Problem

Zackman

December, 25, 2008 AT 10:22 PM

It is under the hood, on the side of the fuse block.

Make sure that: 1. Engine at normal running temperature
2. Throttle valve is fully closed
3. Gear shifter in Neutral
4. Turn all accessories off
5. Use jumper wire, connect terminals TE1 and E1
6. Turn the ignition switch ON, but do not start
7. Read the numbers of MIL