UPSTREAM O2 SENSOR

2004 Toyota Highlander

notsofast

July, 15, 2008 AT 3:24 PM

2004 Toyota Highlander 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 35,250 miles

Getting a code indicating it needs replacing. Sensor is a Bosch Part#15984. The sensor is made with what I would call a heat shield around it that won`t allow a sensor socket to get to the sensor`s 7/8`s nut. Is there a special thin walled sensor socket available

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/213950_IMG_0176_1.jpg

or did Toyota do this by design to force people to bring the car to a dealership because they have a special tool which is not available to the public ? Anyway I haven`t been able to find a sensor socket that will work in this application. They are all too thick walled. Thanks in advance.

merlin2021

July, 15, 2008 AT 5:14 PM

Yes there is a sensor socket made for the job! Don't even need to cut the wires.

notsofast

July, 16, 2008 AT 6:41 AM

Merlin there are dozens of O2 sensor sockets available that could be used that wouldn t require cutting wires if they would fit into the collar created by the sensor s heat shield. A standard sensor socket won t fit inside the collar. That s the problem, not the wires.

merlin2021

July, 18, 2008 AT 2:49 AM

Try the snap on website or mac tools, if you need a thin walled or a special one they should have it!

Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Fail Your Smog Test? Fix it Fast