IT SMOKES WHEN STARTED UP

2003 Toyota Highlander

terrycase

May, 14, 2008 AT 3:46 PM

2003 Toyota Highlander 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 51000 miles

Everything on car is in very good shape, except, I have been noticing when I start up the engine, smoke comes out of the exhaust. This doesn't seem right to me. I had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 110,000 miles and it never smoked a bit. Please help. Thanks

mhpautos

May, 14, 2008 AT 5:45 PM

Hi there,

If the smoke is blue, it will be oil and you may have a problem with the vale stem seals. If it keeps smoking after start up a more serious problem may exist. If black smoke, this will be over fueling, may be a faulty injector, if white smoke coolant and a possible head problem will be the cause. What colour is the smoke, and how long does it last?

bodymender

April, 14, 2009 AT 2:15 PM

I have the similar problem. The smoke is blue color but it goes away when I am driving. I think it is oil burning but what is the cause?

mhpautos

April, 14, 2009 AT 5:21 PM

Hi there,

If you get a puff of blue smoke on start up this is normally a sigh of worn valve stem seals, oil is passing the seal and running down the valve stem into the combustion chamber.

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla