GOT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2006 Toyota Corolla

mgunnells

May, 31, 2008 AT 8:11 PM

2006 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 31000 miles

GOT CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. STAYS ON FOR A FEW HOURS AND GOES OUT. SEEMS TO SHIFT A LITTLE HARDER TOO. I JUST DRAIN OUT THE FLUID AND REPLACED WITH TOYOTA FLUID THAT I GOT FROM TOYOTO HOUSE. FLUID LEVEL IS CORRECT. IS THIS NORMAL FOR LIGHT TO COME ON AFTER 30,000 TO GET DEALER TO RESET SOMETHING? THANKS, MORRIS

merlin2021

May, 31, 2008 AT 8:23 PM

Not normal, the light comes on when a trouble code is set in the memory of the PCM. Have the codes read, Autozone does it free, Post the results with the code number(s). Even if the service engine light is not on, there should be freeze frame data stored.
If it won't make it to Autozone, buy a cheap scanner, they can be had for 30-40 dollars, a good investment, since they cover all cars sold in the USA from 96 on.
If the light is blinking, it means possible damage to the converter. Service it right away!

mgunnells

June, 2, 2008 AT 4:46 PM

Took my 2006 Corolla to dealer today and they replaced the ECM (Computer) module. They said they had a service bulletin on this. Now it shifts smooth. Thank goodness it was still under warranty with 31,000 miles on it. Thanks guys for answering my message. This is a great site!

merlin2021

June, 2, 2008 AT 5:21 PM

Your welcome, even Toyota can throw curves!