WON'T START

1998 Toyota Corolla

joed991

Engine problem
1998 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

It cranks ok, there is spark at plug, fuel comes out fuel filter line, no fuses are blown, problem started after I got car out the garage and parked it outside on a very cold day, next day it won't start, could it be the fuel pressure regulator? Please help! Thanks.

blackop555

First check for injector pulse and fuel pressure. You could also elect to spray starting fluid directly in the throttle body while cranking it.

joed991

Injector pulse at 3.3V dc. So I assume it gets a pulse, so whats after this? I do get fuel pressure right before it goes into the fuel injector rack right where the fuel pressure regulator sits. I wonder if the regulator is the problem then. Please reply asap. Thanks

blackop555

Will it fire up with starting fluid sprayed directly into the throttle body while someone is cranking it?

I do get fuel pressure right before it goes into the fuel injector rack right where the fuel pressure regulator sits.

What was the fuel pressure reading? EFI system are very picky on fuel pressure wrong pressure =No start. Sir you need to follow B5's instructions to the T to find the problem, also did you check the fuel filter?

Could also be that the coolant temperature sensor is acting up and not telling the computer to give fuel during initial cold starts. Report everything you have tried to B5 and I'll be watching too.

joed991

Sorry but I don't have a pressure gauge, but it did try to start while spraying starter fluid. I tried to use a OBDII but I could not get any readings for a fault code.

blackop555

That makes me belive you are not getting enough fuel pressure.

Your Toy does not qualify for an OBD2 its an OBD1 find the diagnostic check connector in the engine compartment-jumper TE-1 or T to E-1 count the flash and report back the code/s

We need that fuel pressure without it we ain't going nowhere-you should have bought a fuel pressure gauge instead of the scantool yours don't need it.

joed991

I am very sorry it is a 98 corolla I always get it confused with my 240sx(1989).

1998 corolla the OBD-II code is P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction

what does that mean?

geschaef

February, 28, 2008 AT 1:52 PM

Joed991,

Did you ever solve this problem? I have exactly the same issue.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang