1998TOYOTA COROLLA WON'T START COROLLA

• joed991
  • 1998 Toyota Corolla

Engine problem
1998 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

It cranks ok, there is spark at plug, fuel comes out fuel filter line, no fuses are blown, problem started after I got car out the garage and parked it outside on a very cold day, next day it won't start, could it be the fuel pressure regulator? Please help! Thanks.

Monday, January 28th, 2008 AT 5:19 PM

• blackop555

First check for injector pulse and fuel pressure. You could also elect to spray starting fluid directly in the throttle body while cranking it.

Monday, January 28th, 2008 AT 6:48 PM
  • joed991

Injector pulse at 3.3V dc. So I assume it gets a pulse, so whats after this? I do get fuel pressure right before it goes into the fuel injector rack right where the fuel pressure regulator sits. I wonder if the regulator is the problem then. Please reply asap. Thanks

Tuesday, January 29th, 2008 AT 7:25 PM
  • blackop555

Will it fire up with starting fluid sprayed directly into the throttle body while someone is cranking it?

Tuesday, January 29th, 2008 AT 8:52 PM
  • rasmataz

I do get fuel pressure right before it goes into the fuel injector rack right where the fuel pressure regulator sits.

What was the fuel pressure reading? EFI system are very picky on fuel pressure wrong pressure =No start. Sir you need to follow B5's instructions to the T to find the problem, also did you check the fuel filter?

Could also be that the coolant temperature sensor is acting up and not telling the computer to give fuel during initial cold starts. Report everything you have tried to B5 and I'll be watching too.

Tuesday, January 29th, 2008 AT 11:14 PM
  • joed991

Sorry but I don't have a pressure gauge, but it did try to start while spraying starter fluid. I tried to use a OBDII but I could not get any readings for a fault code.

Wednesday, January 30th, 2008 AT 8:04 PM
  • blackop555

That makes me belive you are not getting enough fuel pressure.

Wednesday, January 30th, 2008 AT 8:12 PM
  • rasmataz

Your Toy does not qualify for an OBD2 its an OBD1 find the diagnostic check connector in the engine compartment-jumper TE-1 or T to E-1 count the flash and report back the code/s

• rasmataz

We need that fuel pressure without it we ain't going nowhere-you should have bought a fuel pressure gauge instead of the scantool yours don't need it.

Wednesday, January 30th, 2008 AT 8:19 PM
  • joed991

I am very sorry it is a 98 corolla I always get it confused with my 240sx(1989).

1998 corolla the OBD-II code is P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction

what does that mean?

Wednesday, January 30th, 2008 AT 8:55 PM
  • geschaef

Joed991,

Did you ever solve this problem? I have exactly the same issue.

Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 1:52 PM