1997 Toyota Corolla Brakes Sticking

• 2 POSTS

Brakes problem
1997 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 151000 miles

My 1997 Toyota Corolla has a problem right now. I believe the right front brake is sticking. When I first start out in car all is a ok. Then after a mile or so I push the brakes come to a stop. Then upon taking off again the car slowly gets going and if I left off gas car will come to a stop without pushing brakes. It feels like when you are going up a steep hill when you try to get going again. Then it may stop after you get going again until you press brakes again. The right front wheel is super hot to touch, some light smoke and there is a lot of carbon dust on the wheel. The rotor has some blue streaking on it.

How do I check the Hoses, piston, or slider bolts. I am very mechanically inclined just need some direction on where to start first and how to go about it. Just can't really afford to go get them checked right now. Thanks so much.

What should I do next

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 10:34 AM

This sounds like a classic case of the booster rod being adjusted out to far which will not allow the brake fluid to re-enter the master cylinder which causes the brake to hold themselves on. Remove the master and wind the push rod screw inward about two turns and then try it again.

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Best, Ken

Tuesday, November 29th, 2016 AT 11:52 PM