LOOSING OIL

1994 Toyota Corolla

brew6442

March, 5, 2008 AT 9:42 PM

1994 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 600 miles

I have a 94 Toyota Corolla with a 1.8 engine. I bought it with spun rod bearings, I had the crank ground 30 and the mains 10, the machine shop said the cylinders were fine with standard bore, had a valve job done. After 600 miles it is still using oil, about 4 quarts to 600 miles. It smokes a little but it seams to be blowing it out the tail pipe. I've done a compression test both dry and wet, between 190 and 210 psi. I did a leak down test, cylinders 1 and 2 had 15 % leakage while 3 and 4 had 5 %. I had found oil up in the intake and I removed the oil filler cap while it was running and oil was blowing out like I had a lot of blow by. What else could be causing the pressure? I put a new oil pump in it, could it be putting out to much pressure? The pistons and plugs are covered with oil.

mhpautos

March, 6, 2008 AT 3:28 AM

Hi there, do an oil pressure test, just to see what it is, run a hose from the pc valve into a container and run the engine for a good 15 -30 min hot, see how much oil is passing into the manifold, you may have excessive oil in the over head gear and a faulty pc valve drawing oil into the manifold and the engine, Were new exhaust vale guides fitted when the had was done.

brew6442

March, 6, 2008 AT 9:57 PM

Well I did the oil pressure test I had 40 to 60 psi and no oil came out of the pcv valve. I still have oil sitting on the 2-3-4 pistons #1 is dry. The machine shop did not replace the valve guides. Is there a possibillity that it could be coming from there? This car has a mulit layer head gasket could the oil be tracking through it and seeping on the pistons but not show as a compression leak during either leak down or normal compression test? What about a oil galley cracked? I'm at a loss, never had so much trouble with a engine.

mhpautos

March, 7, 2008 AT 1:38 AM

OK.

I feel that you may have a gasket problem, valve guides would have to be non existent for that much oil to by pass, I would remove the in let manifold first and inspect for oil, if clean, head and gasket next. Was head crack tested?

Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Dodge Ram