EGR VALVE

1993 Toyota Corolla

mink

September, 8, 2009 AT 8:29 PM

1993 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 205000 miles

I did not pass the Ohio echeck due to high NOX. I was told it may be due to a dirty or clogged egr valve. I would try to clean it, but I can't find it. Where exactly is it located? Is there an engine diagram or a picture somewhere on line?

September, 8, 2009 AT 8:41 PM

The EGR valve is near the EGR valve vacuum switching valve, the vacuum hose from the VSV goes to the EGR valve/modulator.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_egr_valve_1.jpg

mmprince4000

September, 9, 2009 AT 5:37 AM

There should be a sticker on the hood that says " EGR Equipped".

Toyota made two different engines, one called Federal and the other California. One had EGR (CA.) The other did not.

BLUMONSTER

September, 20, 2009 AT 10:47 AM

As mmprince4000 said, 1993 Fed. Spec. Does not have EGR valve. 1995 1.8 Lt. And after 1996 all Corollas had EGR valves. But interestingly older Fed. Spec. Corollas (1990 for example) had been equipped with EGR valves.

My car failed the emissions test last year. But I changed the spark plugs& wires with factory recommended NGKs, changed oil, put Lucas fuel treatment and passed the emissions test. Thankfully because of a change in regulations cars with OBDI (older than 96 MY) do not need emissions testing in WI.

mmprince4000

September, 21, 2009 AT 8:55 AM

The EGR is located behind the throttle body, and the EGR exhaust port is cast into the intake manifold.

There is a hole in the head just to the left of #4 cylinder and on EGR cars the intake manifold covers it.