, LACK OF POWER AND MORE

1993 Toyota Corolla

NoSake

May, 14, 2007 AT 4:59 PM

1993 Toyota Corolla
153K miles, Manual Transmission

I went awhile without a gas cap, so I figure my problem is partly water damage related. I have a gas cap now, and and one point my car would not start. With a bottle of HEET and ten minutes of trying it eventually fired up. I've been through quite a few fuel cleaners now and I still have a huge lack of power. The idle is rough and hesitates every ~5 seconds. There is a rattle when I am in a high gear while going a slow speed. After sitting for awhile I get white smoke from the muffler off the start. My lack of power is defined by an inability to accelerate quickly, struggles with steep inclines, and a governor kicking in earlier than it has before. Also my MPG has dropped (probably expected).

I have replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs, with hardly any improvement. Any suggestions?

May, 14, 2007 AT 5:12 PM

Try checking the throttle position, mass airflow sensor and restriction in the exhaust system.

Also check the PCV valve and the EGR valve.

BTW when was the last major tune-up?

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang