REPLACING CAM BELT

1990 Toyota Corolla

jemma quin

April, 20, 2009 AT 9:02 PM

1990 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 170000 miles

hi my cam belt on my corolla recently snapped as I did not know it hadnt been changed when I bought the car at 120000ks.
im wanting to be a mechanic and I think replacing it myself would be a good experiance (not to mention money saving)
know how to do it but have looked everywhere for the marks to help me fix timing but cant find them. What should I be looking for and how do they need to be positioned on my particular car (model FX-G) so that the timing is right?
cant seem to find the workshop manual with diagrams anywhere on the net or at library

obxautomedic

April, 20, 2009 AT 9:16 PM

Here are the Timing Mark Alignment.....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_90corolla4cyltiminmarks_1.jpg

.

mmprince4000

April, 21, 2009 AT 6:13 AM

To add to what obxautomedic said.

The illistration is for the 4AFE engine, you must remove the right side wheel, lower stone guards, waterpump pulley (remove bolts to clear belt cover) and the right side motor mount to remove belt cover.

Then remove balancer (no puller necessary, it should come off). Align marks as obxautomedic shows, loosen tensioner pulley and push all the way to rear and temporarly tighten, remove belt.

Check condition of lower timing belt pulley, if belt snapped, it may have buggered up the lower pulley.

jemma quin

April, 21, 2009 AT 9:59 PM

Thanks guys that was exactly what I was looking for : )

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet