1990 TOYOTA COROLLA REPLACING CAM BELT

• jemma quin
  • 1990 Toyota Corolla

1990 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 170000 miles

hi my cam belt on my corolla recently snapped as I did not know it hadnt been changed when I bought the car at 120000ks.
im wanting to be a mechanic and I think replacing it myself would be a good experiance (not to mention money saving)
know how to do it but have looked everywhere for the marks to help me fix timing but cant find them. What should I be looking for and how do they need to be positioned on my particular car (model FX-G) so that the timing is right?
cant seem to find the workshop manual with diagrams anywhere on the net or at library

Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 9:02 PM

• obxautomedic

Here are the Timing Mark Alignment.....

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_90corolla4cyltiminmarks_1.jpg

.

+1
Monday, April 20th, 2009 AT 9:16 PM
  • mmprince4000

To add to what obxautomedic said.

The illistration is for the 4AFE engine, you must remove the right side wheel, lower stone guards, waterpump pulley (remove bolts to clear belt cover) and the right side motor mount to remove belt cover.

Then remove balancer (no puller necessary, it should come off). Align marks as obxautomedic shows, loosen tensioner pulley and push all the way to rear and temporarly tighten, remove belt.

Check condition of lower timing belt pulley, if belt snapped, it may have buggered up the lower pulley.

Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 6:13 AM
  • jemma quin

Thanks guys that was exactly what I was looking for :)

Tuesday, April 21st, 2009 AT 9:59 PM