1987 Toyota Corolla REPLACING CAMSHAFTS

LUCKYJS
  • 1987 TOYOTA COROLLA

1987 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

(I hope my donation is attached to this question, the Paypal return-to-index didn't indicate that there was a connection)

I am replacing the head gasket on a 1987 Toyota Corolla SR-5, A-F engine.
I removed the camshafts & sprocket and continued with the head gasket replacement. Now I am attempting to put it back together but have run into a problem - or at least a question:

Which direction is the "sprocket timing hole" supposed to face?

The cams and sprocket were removed intact, but when they are meshed with the alignment marks together, the sprocket timing hole is off 90 degrees from the top, pointing to the rear of the car. I don't know that it wasn't this way to start with, but the instruction in the Haynes manual has me baffled. "Align the camshaft sprocket timing hole with the center mark on the cylinder head" (illustration shows the hole at the top of the sprocket, not 90 degrees to the right.

This manual does cover several engines (ours is the A-F) but there is no indication that this is different between them.
Can you help?

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 4:40 PM

Is this a 1.5L or 1.6L engine? also see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_corrolla_timing_alignment_1.jpg

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 5:41 PM
JACK42

They almost always point up. It is a good idea to make your own visible marks or take a digital pic before disassembly

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 6:03 PM
LUCKYJS

Your illustration looks like a chevy V8 :)

The car is a 1987 Toyota Corolla SR-5 with the 4A-F engine (as opposed to 4A-GC, 4A-C, 4A-GE) and
1.6 liter Toyota standard engine.

I can take a picture of this dilemma in the morning if that will help. I've been repairing and rebuilding cars my entire life but have never been baffled like this.

The 2 gears on the cam have the marks on them toward the bell housing side, and they are meshed according to the manual, with the marks facing each other. All looks fine. Except - on the Timing belt sprocket the timing hole lies horizontally - flush with the top of the head. This part has never been removed from the car.

If I turn the timing belt sprocket up, so that the timing hole is at the top, then the meshed marks on the inside of the cam would be straight up, not horizontal as it is now. I would have to also rotate the intake cam so that it's mark would be up also.
Which way is correct? What am I missing here?
Am I making sense?

Thanks!

Lucky

-1
Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 10:35 PM

Jack-This engine is similar to the Camry's 3S-FE 4cyl. Let me go and hunt this 4A-F engine-I'll be back-

Hang in there -I'll get you squared away-it does look like a Chevy timing chain arrangement-

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:12 PM
LUCKYJS

Great!
I'll be here, holding my breath!

Lucky

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:19 PM

Your set up does it look like this-also do you have a seperate cam sprocket for the exhaust and intake valves.

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:38 PM
LUCKYJS

No image included, the link just brought up an ad from Edmunds.

>> do you have a seperate cam sprocket for the exhaust and intake valves.
Yes, they have separate sprockets. They have the knock pin alignment holes and the timing pully goes on the front, outside the valve cover.

Lucky

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:44 PM

Does yours looks like this?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_camshafts_1.jpg

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:52 PM
LUCKYJS

No, that looks like the 4A-GE engine.

On mine, the timing belt only drives off of the exhaust cam.

Luckyt

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:54 PM

What about this

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_3SFE_1.jpg

Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 12:02 AM

Camshaft sprockets for the exhaust/intake are they messed together

+1
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 12:07 AM
LUCKYJS

Yes, that's more like it.

The cam installation marks line up on the inside when the exhaust camshaft knock pin is positioned about 9:00, and the intake camshaft knock pin is positioned about 5:00.(Illustration in Haynes manual)

Lucky

+2
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 12:13 AM

On Toyota 1.6L DOHC 4AF and 4A FE engines in Corolla and Celica models, timing the camshafts also can be confusing because the cam gears have two sets of timing marks. Each set of marks has a particular purpose. One set is used to time the intake with the exhaust camshaft when they are mounted in the cylinder head, and the other set indicates the TDC position for both camshafts.

I've done this before with this engine back in the early 90's just not kicking in. Just hang in there, am giving it all I got

+1
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 12:29 AM
LUCKYJS

Yes, they mesh perfectly. The only problem is that when they do, the mark on the timing belt sprocket is 90 degrees from the top, point to the rear of the car.

Lucky

+1
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 11:28 AM

The knock pin for the intake camshaft-where is it located, also the exhaust cam knock pin-

+1
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 5:50 PM
LUCKYJS

[quote="rasmataz"]The knock pin for the intake camshaft-where is it located, also the exhaust cam knock pin-[/quote
Here's a picture of the cams/etc

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj131/luckysals/87Toyota_SR5_4A-F.jpg

Lucky

+4
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 10:43 PM
LUCKYJS

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj131/luckysals/87toyota2_SR5_4A-F.jpg

+6
Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 11:02 PM
MMPRINCE4000

The 4AFE has a removal and installation position. Once installed you rotate the cams back to the timing position using a cresent wrench on one of the square spots on the camshafts.

In other words, you put the engine to TDC #1, then you have to rotate the cams (timing belt removed) to install the service bolt in the intake cam. You take the caps/cams out. Reinstall, take the service bolt out and then rotate back to timing (service bolt hole would be at 9:00) and 2 timing marks on front of cams would be pointing at each other

+3
Please consider a donation if we helped you
Friday, February 29th, 2008 AT 6:55 AM
LUCKYJS

Read, printed, re-read, re-read, re-read - it's getting clearer - but I'm not quite there yet either.

Interesting info from mmprince4000 - I still feel like i"m stuck in the twilight Zone - but it looks like I may be about to find my way out.

+1
Friday, February 29th, 2008 AT 9:43 AM
LUCKYJS

Could you be more specific about this "service bolt"? The specs for the bolt are shown in the Auto Zone document - but i'm not clear on it's purpose. Aren't we bolting together two items (gear and subgear) that are already attached via a lock washer?

Lucky

+1
Friday, February 29th, 2008 AT 10:08 AM