1987 TOYOTA COROLLA REPLACING CAMSHAFTS

• Luckyjs
  • 1987 TOYOTA COROLLA

1987 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

(I hope my donation is attached to this question, the Paypal return-to-index didn't indicate that there was a connection)

I am replacing the head gasket on a 1987 Toyota Corolla SR-5, A-F engine.
I removed the camshafts & sprocket and continued with the head gasket replacement. Now I am attempting to put it back together but have run into a problem - or at least a question:

Which direction is the "sprocket timing hole" supposed to face?

The cams and sprocket were removed intact, but when they are meshed with the alignment marks together, the sprocket timing hole is off 90 degrees from the top, pointing to the rear of the car. I don't know that it wasn't this way to start with, but the instruction in the Haynes manual has me baffled. &Quot;align the camshaft sprocket timing hole with the center mark on the cylinder head" (illustration shows the hole at the top of the sprocket, not 90 degrees to the right.

This manual does cover several engines (ours is the A-F) but there is no indication that this is different between them.
Can you help?

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 4:40 PM

• Rasmataz

Is this a 1.5L or 1.6L engine? also see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_corrolla_timing_alignment_1.jpg

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 5:41 PM
  • Jack42

They almost always point up. It is a good idea to make your own visible marks or take a digital pic before disassembly

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 6:03 PM
  • Luckyjs

Your illustration looks like a chevy V8 :)

The car is a 1987 Toyota Corolla SR-5 with the 4A-F engine (as opposed to 4A-GC, 4A-C, 4A-GE) and
1.6 liter Toyota standard engine.

I can take a picture of this dilemma in the morning if that will help. I've been repairing and rebuilding cars my entire life but have never been baffled like this.

The 2 gears on the cam have the marks on them toward the bell housing side, and they are meshed according to the manual, with the marks facing each other. All looks fine. Except - on the Timing belt sprocket the timing hole lies horizontally - flush with the top of the head. This part has never been removed from the car.

If I turn the timing belt sprocket up, so that the timing hole is at the top, then the meshed marks on the inside of the cam would be straight up, not horizontal as it is now. I would have to also rotate the intake cam so that it's mark would be up also.
Which way is correct? What am I missing here?
Am I making sense?

Thanks!

Lucky

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 10:35 PM
  • Rasmataz

Jack-This engine is similar to the Camry's 3S-FE 4cyl. Let me go and hunt this 4A-F engine-I'll be back-

Hang in there -I'll get you squared away-it does look like a Chevy timing chain arrangement-

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:12 PM
  • Luckyjs

Great!
I'll be here, holding my breath!

Lucky

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:19 PM
  • Rasmataz

Your set up does it look like this-also do you have a seperate cam sprocket for the exhaust and intake valves.

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:38 PM
  • Luckyjs

No image included, the link just brought up an ad from Edmunds.

>> do you have a seperate cam sprocket for the exhaust and intake valves.
Yes, they have separate sprockets. They have the knock pin alignment holes and the timing pully goes on the front, outside the valve cover.

Lucky

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:44 PM
  • Rasmataz

Does yours looks like this?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_camshafts_1.jpg

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:52 PM
  • Luckyjs

No, that looks like the 4A-GE engine.

On mine, the timing belt only drives off of the exhaust cam.

Luckyt

Wednesday, February 27th, 2008 AT 11:54 PM
  • Rasmataz

What about this

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_3SFE_1.jpg

Thursday, February 28th, 2008 AT 12:02 AM