CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, MAJOR HESITATION

Toyota Celica

rhiannongrace

April, 13, 2007 AT 11:23 AM

Hi,
My car is a 2000 Toyota Celica; approx. 114, 500 miles; 1.8L engine. My check engine light has been on for about a year. When I had it diagnosed, they told me that the problem was a catalytic converter and that it would cost close to $2000 to repair. But the car was running fine so I opted to wait. The car DID pass smog in CA shortly after this.

However, in the past few months the car is hesitating. When the gas pedal is depressed, the engine revs but nothing happens for a few seconds. Sometimes I actually have to pump the gas pedal to get the car to go. Is this related to the catalytic converter, or is this another problem? Should a catalytic converter repair cost as much as I was quoted?

Thanks for your help.

mmprince3000

April, 15, 2007 AT 6:03 AM

The convertor is probably clogged causing an exhaust restriction. You would want to find out why the convertor is clogged i.E. Rich fuel mixture causing the convertor to overheat.

I can't imagine a convertor costing $2K. You can buy universal convertors from Summit Racing for less than $200.

April, 15, 2007 AT 7:08 AM

What's the OBD2 code/s Better get a backpressure test on it to confirm that the Cat is defective.

Also a 5 Gas Analyzer will tell the tale.