CATALYTIC CONVERTER

1991 Toyota Celica

Lsnyder1

Other Category problem
1991 Toyota Celica 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 218000 miles

I have a 1991 Toyota celica gt with a 2.2L 5a-fe engine. The catalytic converter on this model is very strange. It's actually called a manifold converter. It is attached directly to the exhaust manifold. On the manifold side the opening of the cat is about 3 inches in diameter, on the exhaust side it is only about 1 inch in diameter. Hypothetically, if I were to gut the cat and reattach it would I be susceptible to any problems from the open cavity in the cat? I have never seen a cat like this and am worried that a vortex might develop inside and cause the car to backfire or fry the valves.

That is just the pre-heater Cat-its the one on the back that you have to worry about.

Lsnyder1

I have taken the whole exhaust system apart. The other catalytic converter is fine. The manifold converter is the problem. I have a very hard time getting the car started and when I do I have to hold the gas pedal for the entire duration. I know this cat is the problem because when I do get the car started it starts glowing red hot. Also it will not pass air very well at all.

Okay then If you're so sure its the manifold Cat-

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen