REVERSE GEAR MAKES CLICKING NOISE

1998 Toyota Carina

narefeen2003

November, 5, 2010 AT 9:03 AM

1998 Toyota Carina 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

My everything of the transmission is perfectly alright except when I put the gear on reverse. There is a clunk when I m putting the gear one reverse. Thats the only problem. The reverse gear shifts instantly with that sound. Is there any problem with that?

November, 5, 2010 AT 11:43 AM

Hi narefeen2003,

That would depend on where the noise is coming from. It could be the engine mounts or drive trains having excessive clearances.

narefeen2003

November, 5, 2010 AT 12:42 PM

narefeen2003

November, 5, 2010 AT 12:44 PM

I think its from the transmission. It occurs more clearly when transmission is hot. But there is no problem in shifting

November, 5, 2010 AT 1:00 PM

With the age and mileage on the vehicle, some wear would be eminent and if the fluids have not been replaced for a long tme, check the level and condition and if necessary, replace it.

If it is from within the trans, it could be getting old and it is an indication it is on its way out. There is nothing you can do about it except use until it fails, unless you wish to have it rebuilt or replaced.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage