ENGINE PROBLEM

Toyota Camry

water2224

August, 27, 2007 AT 1:49 PM

I purchased a used 1999 Toyota Camry CE (4 cyl engine with 170,000 mi) about 12 months ago. In January, I took it to mechanic for an oil leak and a rattling noice from the engine. Unfortunately, we learned that the timing belt had never been replaced. The mechanic replaced the belt and several gaskets, but the rattling sound from the engine remained. His suggestion was to completely replace the engine. Recently, the noise from the engine is very loud. Before I take it back in, any input on the likely problem and suggestions on a solution? Thanks.

mhpautos

August, 27, 2007 AT 6:13 PM

Hi there,

Engine rattles can be caused by a number of items, but the the common denomator is usually low oil pressure. I would have the oil & filter changed, maybe use an engine oil flush first, have the oil pressure tested to see if it is still in specs. If oil pressure is too low engine change or re build time. Check the valve clearances, but as they are shimmed these normaly dont rattle with age, but there may be an oil supply issue to the top end. With out hearing the noise it is a bit hard to suggest what to to next, only make sure that all the basic 's are ok, before making any desicision that will cost dollars.

Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue