Rear Main Seal- 95'Camry-150K. Do it yourself repair?

BGSIMS
  • 1995 TOYOTA CAMRY
A local mechanic told me that I have a leaky rear main oil seal. The cost would be $750 to repair it. Being a budding do it yourself mechanic, I'm tempted to attempt the repair myself, (plus I enjoy trying car repair jobs). The limited feedback that I've gotten, specify that the seal is relatively simple to replace, it is just getting to it, that is murder. The manufacturer recommends dropping the transaxle out the bottom and going at the repair from this direction. The Haynes repair manual suggests taking the transaxle and engine out from the top, to get to it. I'm not willing to take the latter route. Would the manufacturer's recommendation be all that complicated to do? Is my success going to be largely due to whether or not I have the right equipment, more than the complexity of the actual disassembly/reassembly? Basically I just want to know if I'm getting in over my head, since I'm a fairly good weekend mechanic, but by no means a pro. Thanks for any input.
Friday, January 19th, 2007 AT 2:10 AM

MMPRINCE3000
You would have to support the engine and remove the transmission. It is a lot of work. If you can afford to have the car out of service for a while, you could try it.
I just replaced tha tranny on a 1991 Corolla and replaced the rear main seal while I was at it.
Just a lot of stuff to take off, so it would depend on what equipment/tools you have, and if you run into any problems, what back up plan you have.
Friday, January 19th, 2007 AT 12:21 PM