QUOT;TICKING" NOISE

Toyota Camry

zoner chick

May, 20, 2007 AT 7:29 AM

I have a 90 Camry (2VZFE 2.5L LE w/120,000 mi) and a get a ticking noise under load or while accelerating. I thought it was a bad Cam bearing, but it doesn't use bearings on the cam. I thought it might have been a bad valve, but I took the heads to a credible machine shop to have them cleaned, pressure tested, and valve seals changed. They said everything was good and changed the seals.
After replacing the Head gaskets (and every gasket above) and the MAF sensor, I still have the same ticking. I no longer have the antifreeze and unburned fuel smell coming out the exhaust.
Also. I'm not mistaking it for the somewhat noisey fuel infectors. This is louder than they are, and is in additon to that noise.
It sounds like the upper part of the engine, but I'm not ruling out a bad rod bearing or piston pin. Any suggestions?

M_H_RITZEL

May, 20, 2007 AT 10:21 AM

If doing it under pressure or accelerating I would check the anti knock sensor, try putting a higher grade fuel in it and see if you still have the ticking.

zoner chick

May, 20, 2007 AT 1:56 PM

I added an octane booster to it and the ticking is still there, plus I have been using 89. I hadn't thought about the knock sensor though, I guess it's time to check that out.

zoner chick

May, 22, 2007 AT 6:27 AM

I filled up last time with 93 and I added dry gas and Lucas fuel additive. I also changed the fuel filter and drove about 10 miles yesterday. I still have the ticking noise. I'm hesitant to just change the knock sensor, because it's over a hundred dollars. Is there a way to test this with a multimeter?

M_H_RITZEL

May, 22, 2007 AT 9:45 AM

I see what you mean, I just looked up one and the price was $164.99 , try to see if you can locate one at a local junk yard, it would be a lot cheaper

Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe