MY CAR STARTS BUT DOES NOT STAY RUNNING

Toyota Camry

lorraine

March, 7, 2006 AT 1:48 PM

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry SE with 61490 miles. The car starts but does not stay running. It turns over fine, the check engine light is not on, but the car does not stay running. What could be causing this? I recently got an oil change and the car checked. The only thing that needed some care was the serpentine belt. The belt was lubricated because it was squeeky. Could the lubricating spray cause my car to not run?

fisherman

March, 7, 2006 AT 9:53 PM

I dont think so. Probably your gas pump its not delivering enought fuel.
Did you tried to keep the engine running by pushing the gas pedal.
How long has been doing this?

lorraine

March, 8, 2006 AT 12:02 PM

Yes I did push the gas pedal but as soon as I took my foot off the pedal the car stopped.

fisherman

March, 8, 2006 AT 12:09 PM

The serpentine belt dont need to be lubricated did you notice that belt slipping?
What kind of lubricant to they use?
Some times the oil or lubricant can get in to a sensor and make it acting weird.
Did you said that the problem starts after the belt was lubricated?

lorraine

March, 8, 2006 AT 1:20 PM

Yes the problem started after the belt was lubricated. According the the mechanic at the Jiffy Lube the belt needed to be lubricated to stop the squeeky sound. He said that the belt gets dry. He used a all purpose belt dressing spray. According to the can it said it could be used on all serpentine belts etc.

shashadawna

April, 3, 2006 AT 7:46 AM

My 2003 is doing the same thing-except the check engine light comes on when the car cuts off-mine also will stay on if I give it gas, but I have to catch it quickly-mine will sometimes do it 2 or 3 times before it stays started. No one can figure out what the problem is with mine either.

cris02

June, 20, 2006 AT 12:01 AM

I also have the same problem lately it has been happening daily and still no shop can tell me whats wrong. I ahve a 1992 toyota camry le with227k she runs great except her starting issue.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang