Muffler Repair

RESOL
  • TOYOTA CAMRY
Hi. I have a 1999 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive automatic, 83000 miles. Recently my car has gotten louder and louder. Now it sounds like a truck, and sputters as well. I thought it might be the muffler and I brought it to the dealer. He quoted me a price of $1200.00 to repair. He said the part that is leaking cost almost $1000.00. Does this sound correct? I wouldn't mind just the noise, but it seems to me the performance has gone down as well. It would stand to reason, since a great deal of energy that should be going into the drive train is being expended as noise.
Thanks.
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 2:10 PM

What? The catalytic converter is made out of gold-I thought it was platinum/palladium/rhodium in there-if your not affected with the annual emission testing cut the thing out and put a test pipe temporarily.

Did they tell you what's leaking-my advise is shop around for a better deal. He's trying to get all the kids money and no christmas for them-No No No.
Friday, August 10th, 2007 AT 6:51 PM
LOSTINMARS
Eliminating the catalytic converter is a federal offense. I don't any tech that would do this. You can pick these up aftermarket for a lot less.
Friday, August 24th, 2007 AT 2:18 AM
Read before you speak:

******if your not affected with the annual emission testing cut the thing out and put a test pipe temporarily******

What they gonna do-strip me off my I/M Certification and fine me 2500 for tampering. Am a crook I can beat that idiot light with my technical experiences in Electronics and my toys-that I will make it pass thru the plug-in test. You want one-I'll make you one for 1500 but don't tell EPA this is life w/o parole were talking about.
Saturday, August 25th, 2007 AT 4:06 AM