99 (4 CYL) - WHERE IS THE ENGINE COOLANT TEMP. SENSOR?

1999 Toyota Camry

dsplc

August, 15, 2007 AT 1:18 AM

I am having a hard time starting the car when the outside air temp. Is around 100 degrees (engine cold). I have to step on the gas a little (around 1300 RPM) to keep the engine running for around a minute. After that, it runs normal. I do not have a problem starting the car at night or winter time. Only at sizzling hot summer time. I read a few topics here that the Engine coolant temperature sensor might answer the problem. Where is it located and how do I check it if it is working fine?
Thanks.

merlin2021

August, 15, 2007 AT 2:30 AM

On top to the rear of engine.
Diagram from Mitchell.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Locations_1.jpg

August, 15, 2007 AT 2:51 AM

What size engine there's 2 of them

Merl, I tried to come up with both but you beat me on 1. They are in different locations-yours is right, its to the right from the A/F Ratio sensor.

The other one you need a microscope to view it.

dsplc

August, 15, 2007 AT 10:53 AM

Thanks for the immediate response Merlin and Rasmataz. The picture is a little small, I enlarge it and I see # 7 and # 10. The one behind the cylnder head. I see 2 sensors close to each other in the aluminum water pipe, one is close to the cylinder head (Small sensor) and the other one close to the upper radiator hose (big sensor). Since the picture is blurry when I enlarge it, I do not know which one is it. : Can you response again please. Thanks again.

Oh, Rasmataz, I got a 5S-FE engine 4 cyl 2.2 L. By the way, you change your picture. Now I have to enlarge it to see you better. : Lol: : lol:

August, 15, 2007 AT 3:53 PM

Its no.7 CTS normally its threaded in the intake manifold or at the goose neck. It has the color wires Brown and a Green/Black on the connector. I got the pic even for the 3.0L but refuses to get bigger lol-sorry this the best I could do.

Have a nice day

dsplc

August, 15, 2007 AT 10:14 PM

I : shock: found it. The brown and green/black 2 wires attached to the big sensor. I am learning a lot at this forum. : Lol: : lol: Thank you very much.

Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement