93 , CLICKS WHEN TURNING KEY AND THEN STARTS

1993 Toyota Camry

elizabee

September, 23, 2007 AT 10:02 AM

I have a 93 Camry, 147,000 miles, V-6. The problem is when I turn the key to start, there's a click and then nothing. It resets the clock and the radio stations like the battery has been disconnected. I'll open the door and there's no ding indicating that the key's in the ignition. I pop the hood, shove the battery a little and I hear the ding and then it'll start. Sometimes all it takes is opening the door and waiting a second for the ding indicator and I'll try and it starts. Other times I just turn the key slowly and hold it like I'm starting it and after a few seconds it starts. This began happening last spring and I was told it was a bad battery and it was replaced along with a corroded connector. It's still happening. I can go for days and it's fine. And then it'll happen for 2 or 3 days in a row, dry or rainy weather. Is this an electrical problem or something with the ignition system? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Can't Remove Ignition Key

97 Country Ignition Switch

fisherman

September, 23, 2007 AT 7:18 PM

Hello!

Everything point that you have a bad connection.
Check both connectors and make sure that are tight and clean, also check the ground (-) cable connector on the frame and in to the engine, be sure that they are making a good connection.

Buzzsaw

September, 25, 2007 AT 1:49 AM

I would say starter is bad, contacks are warn inside starter, dont hold the ignition switch, when it happends move it to off then start and see if it ingages

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement