OIL CONSUMPTION

2007 Toyota Camry

jillianmurrell

August, 8, 2010 AT 2:26 AM

2007 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Automatic 52,000 miles

I noticed that my Toyota Camry consumed 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles right after I purchased it in 2007. They stated that it was more than likely because of the newness of the vehicle. Finally, after writing a letter and demanding that the problem be corrected, they have now offered to do other testing. These are the test they have completed: cylinder compression test, leak-down test, removed and inspected all spark plugs, and bore scope all the cylinders. Test showed no problems.

The final result was that the factory told the dealer to order a short block. My question is, is a short block the best solution for the consumer? Should a new engine be installed? What are some of the possible draw backs if the factory will only authrize a short block intead of a long block.

I need advice quickly as I am discussing this on Monday August 10th with the dealer.

Thank you

mhpautos

August, 8, 2010 AT 2:48 AM

Hi there.

Thank you for the donation,

The short engine or block solution is what I would expect, this is the block, crank new pistons rings & bearings, new oil pump. Toyota have had a few problems with damaged oil control rings on camry and corolla's over the years, and a short engine is the best solution for this, I would expect that the head will be surfaced and pressure tested as well as a precaution and thi sis really just one step away from a full new engine, for them to be doing this on a 2007 car, if it was mine I would be very happy indeed.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Air Intake Boot Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995