CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON TODAY!

2004 Toyota Camry

Ger McGill

September, 6, 2010 AT 9:21 PM

Computer problem
2004 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 45,900 miles

Why did the Check Engine light suddenly come on today? Car is riding beautifully, and not supposed to change the oil for another 1000 miles. Is it because it is past 45,000 miles and I'm supposed to let the Toyota Service Dept talk me into hundreds of dollars of unnecessary maintenance? I'm a woman, and they always do that to me.I take it in to get the oil changed, and they write me an estimate for $500 worth of 'alleged' maintenance work needed. I bought my car new, change oil every 3,000 miles and have had new tires and battery and cabin filter and minor things replaced. Runs great. Please advise before I call that daggone service dept tomorrow! Thank you, Ger McGill

mhpautos

September, 6, 2010 AT 9:27 PM

Hi there,

You can take this to any mechanic to get a scan done, the light is a visual indication that there is a set fault code in the ECU memory, a scan will read this code and this code will indicate the problem involved, do this and report the code here for information on the problem.

Ger McGill

September, 6, 2010 AT 9:34 PM

Do they have such a scanner at AutoZone?

mhpautos

September, 6, 2010 AT 10:07 PM

Yes they do.