CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

2000 Toyota Camry

steve1c

Computer problem
2000 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120K miles

My CEL has been on for a month. My car runs fine and do not notice any change in gas Mileage. Scan code comes up with P0402. I did a vacuume check on the EGR valve that turned out ok. Can you suggest any other checks? Could it be my DPFE sensor? How would I check this? Thanks to anyone for advise.

BMRFIXIT

We find the vacuum switch solenoid to be the fault most of the time
give it a check
just follow the vacuum lines (EGR system ) back to the vacuum switch

steve1c

Thanks for the response. Can you supp; y a photo? Does not have to be of my engine compartment. Just the componet itself so I can be sure what I am replacing. Thanks!

BMRFIXIT

Sorry do not have any pictures

I know it is a dealer item

they should know it (egr vacuum switch )

steve1c

January, 10, 2009 AT 12:18 AM

Thanks a bunch for the quick response. I'll post my results after install. Thanks again

steve1c

It's been a couple weeks. Finally fixed my CEL on my camry. The parts guy at my local dealership reccommended to start with a gas cap, as it is a 60k miles change item. It cleared the P0402 but there was a secondary code that I didn't notice.I think it was P1411, pointing to the EGR position sensor on top of the EGR valve. The gas cap lasted about 10 miles before the CEL P0402 was back.I went back and bought a EGR position sensor ($50). It got rid of the red P0402 code but still left the yellow P1411 code. After about 50 miles of driving, the P1411 code went away.