1999 Toyota Camry Testing Radiator Fan Relays 1999 Toyota C

• 3 POSTS

1999 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

I have 1999 toyota camry 4 cyl with a radiator fan problem. The cooling fans will only come on when I turn on the air conditioner. I replaced both the ECT and the radiator fan switch sensor and when the engine heats up the fans still won't come on unless air conditioner is on. I did the test where you unplug the wires from the radiator fan switch sensor and turned the key to the on position and the fans would not come on. I repeated this test with the ECT. I replaced the main engine relay and the fan #1 & #3 relays. I later found out how to test the relays and the original and replacement relays all checked out OK. The only fan relay I was unable to test was the fan #2 relay. I have searched the internet and had no luck finding out information on how to test the 5 blade #2 fan relay. This relay is over $60 and a special order item. I would like to test the relay and confirm it is bad before buying a replacement. I have a haynes manual but does not show how to test this 5 blade relay. Any suggestions on how to test this relay?

Thursday, July 10th, 2008 AT 2:24 PM

Hi dezrat1,

This relay is similar to 4 terminal relay, it is an A relay and has 2 power output source, one when coil is activated and the other when not activated.

Eg, 5 terminals labelled A, B, C, D and E

A + B = coil

C + D = continuity when coil not activated and continuity breaks when activated.

C + E = continuity only when coil activated.

Saturday, July 12th, 2008 AT 4:39 PM